Please note: Leadership Lab and Council Officer Elections will be conducted online via Microsoft Teams
What is District Leadership Lab
- Typically, Leadership Lab is held annually in June for 4-H members who are in or are entering 8th grade through high school including those just graduated seniors. This year, Leadership Lab is open to all enrolled 4-H members.
- The event is designed to prepare District 5 4-H members for various leadership roles at the county, district, and state levels.
- Participants gain valuable project knowledge and skills they can take home and implement in their local county 4-H program.
- By combining work and play, activities are designed to explore creativity in leadership roles, enhance team-building skills, and develop communication and public speaking skills.
- Members are encouraged to attend and participate in the District 4-H Council business meeting as well as be involved in the selection of the officer team for the next 4-H year.
- Encourage your members to come ready to have a great camp experience!
- The theme, this year, is Leadership Survivor (think Survivor TV show).
- Dress the part and prizes will be awarded Best Dressed Survivor.
- There is no fee to participate.
- All participants (youth, parents, agents) must register in advance via this link: https://forms.gle/cRAbhaXLb4BhNdBT6
- Registration is open June 1 – 23 at midnight.
- The District 4-H Council officer election will be held during Leadership Lab. 4-H members running for an office must meet certain eligibility requirements and submit the appropriate forms to reach the District office by June 15, 2020 via mail or email to email@example.com
- Along with the application form, a leadership history will be required and scored.
- There will also be a phone interview conducted on June 22nd which will be scored.
- These scores along with the popular vote will be used to select the 2020-2021 District 4-H Council officers.
- All interested candidates must submit the attached forms (both are two-page forms):
- Each county must designate two delegates, in grades 8-12, to vote for council positions. Email your delegate names and grade level to Carolyn Walton at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 15th at 4:00 p.m.
- Voting delegates must be registered to participate in the Virtual Leadership Lab program as candidate speeches will be provided at this event.
- June 15: Application – officers will be required to email application to Jheri-Lynn McSwain email@example.com
- June 22: Interviews- interviews will be conducted on Microsoft Teams or by phone with selected interviewers.
- June 25: Speech and Question – speeches and question will be facilitated by an agent moderator. Speeches will be recorded via Microsoft Teams.
- June 25-28: Popular Vote – voting will take place via web (platform to be decided). Votes will be accepted from the list of delegates submitted by County Extension Agents. Votes will be tallied, and points distributed based upon the number of votes received. If all delegates are present at Leadership Lab (June 25th), then the votes will be tallied at that time and announced at the conclusion of the program.
What to Bring
- One sandwich for our lunch program.
- One notecard or piece of paper.
- One marker.