Due to a conflict with a national shooting sports training program being held the same weekend as the District 5 Shooting Sports Coaches Certification Training held in Frankston on October 29-30, the State 4-H office was unable to secure an instructor for the Shotgun and Pistol disciplines. Therefore, these two disciplines will be held on December 10-11, 2022 – same location; same time. Archery and Rifle will continue to meet October 29-30 as scheduled.
This year District 5 is hosting 4 different contests : Fall Foliage, General Photography, Spring Flowers, and new this year, Entomology, for our 4-H youth, Clover Kids, and Adults.
- Fall Foliage Photography Contest – Photos of interesting, unique, and colorful tree leaves that depict Fall or Autumn.
- General Photography Contest – 15 categories, from animals to plants and food, there is sure to be one for everyone.
- Spring Flowers Photography Contest – Take and submit photos of interesting, unique, colorful, bold, and beautiful spring flowers that depict the season.
- Entomology Photography Contest – Take and submit photos of interesting, unique, colorful, bold, and interesting Texas insects that depict their natural habitat.
For more information and complete rules, visit the Photography Contest page.
Registration is now open for the 2022 District 5 Food Show, to be held on December 2 at the Henderson Civic Center in Henderson.
The theme this year is Backyard BBQ. What’s your favorite dish at a backyard BBQ? Don’t be afraid to showcase your culinary skills by experimenting with flavors and dishes commonly found at a backyard BBQ. Summer isn’t the only time for a Backyard BBQ! Sometimes, a backyard BBQ means you get to enjoy special dishes that you only see at a BBQ. Now is the time for you to get creative with flavors and recipes commonly found at a backyard BBQ.
Registration is open on 4HOnline and runs from October 18 – November 8, 2022.
For more information, visit the District 5 Food Show page.
You are invited to attend the September 2022 Bite-Size 4-H program scheduled for Friday, September 16 from 9 to noon at the Nacogdoches County Extension office. This is an in-person meeting so we can engage in idea sharing and answer questions regarding our monthly topic. New agents in their onboarding year are required to attend. All others are welcome to join in the discussion on Membership, Enrollment and the Roles and Responsibilities of Agents, Parents and Volunteers in 4-H.
Please use the link to RSVP no later than September 14th: https://forms.gle/LG15mxFJWeCiHaz19
Hope to see you there!
Texas 4-H Horse Validation for the 2022 season is now open in 4HOnline. Horse Validation will be open from March 1 – May 1, 2022.
A few important reminders:
- The family can submit payment of $10.00 per horse ($20.00 after April 15th, or $250 from May 1st to May 5th), in the form of a credit card ONLY
- Each validation must include front view, right side view, and left side view images. The entire horse should be included in the photo and markings should be clearly visible.
- Image uploads must be in the form of a .jpg, .gif or .png file. PDF documents are not an accepted file type.
- Families should validate each horse only one time. Once the horse is validated, any sibling within that family is eligible to show the horse at their district show and/or the State 4-H Horse Show.
- Youth validating a futurity horse must be at least 12 years of age (as of Sept. 1, 2021) and at least in the 6th grade.
- The family will receive an automated message from 4-H Online when the County Extension Agent has approved the horse at the county level. This approval does NOT guarantee eligibility. After it is approved at the county level, the validation will then be reviewed at the state level. The family will be notified by June 1st if there are any issues with the validation at the state level.
Are you ready to REEL ‘EM IN? Announcing the 2022 Virtual 4-H Fishing Skill-a-thon. Complete guidelines, rules, and app information to be released January 18! We have some awesome sponsors lined up this year. Be sure to be one of the first 50 to complete your registration to receive a FREE Check-it-Stik.
Is your Opportunity Scholarship Application as polished as you would like? Is it good enough to get noticed? Let us help you make your application one that stands out by attending the District 5 Opportunity Scholarship workshop on January 22 from 1:00 to 3:00pm at the Nacogdoches County Extension Office. Click here to register.
The Texas 4-H Natural Resources Program is presenting a Project Leader Training to include the following project areas: Entomology, Forestry, Range Science, Water Conservation, and Wildlife & Fisheries/Aquatic Ecology. This training will be held on January 29, 2022 in College Station from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and is open to all 4-H volunteer leaders, CEAs/Other Extension Programmers, and Senior division 4-H members interested in a leadership role. Training will include classroom instruction and outdoor hands-on activities. Various resources will be available for you to take back to your county to use with your youth.
Registration is currently open on 4-H Online for $20, which includes lunch and will close on January 14, 2022. Information on specific training location and additional details will be sent to registrants.